I recently ordered a coyote skull from ebay, which unbeknownst to me, was poorly cleaned, and poorly packed. When I received it, the thing was smelly, greasy, and covered in mold. Also, the jaw was glued shut with hot glue, leaving plastic tendrils everywhere.
After having my messages ignored by the salesman, I decided to take matters in my own hands and fix it myself.
I started off with a water and dish soap bath, leaving the skull to soak for a couple of days. That got rid of the greasiness. Afterwards, I scrubbed the bones and soaked them in 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol, to help kill the nastiness and deal with the residual smell. I finished by leaving the bones rest for a couple of days in hydrogen peroxide, which whitened the skull, and help dissolve all residual mold and tissue still in the bone.
Once dry, it was a simple matter of gluing the teeth and the two halves of the lower jaw with good ol' elmer's glue, and I was left with a beautiful, squeaky-clean skull to adorn my bookshelves.
Pictures of the skull as I received it after the break. Be warned it's kinda gross.
Here's, sooner than expected, the video detailing the painting, hairing and finishing of the shrunken head. That thing looks great in a bell jar on my dresser! Now I'm bored. I need to find something else to make! More pictures after the break.
Hello again, here is the second part of the process of making latex shrunken heads. In this video, I'll go through the whole molding and casting process. In a couple days, I should have a video detailing the painting & finishing of the head up and running.
I'm a canadian multi-disciplinary artist, epicurian and all-around dork, working full-time as a 3D animation teacher in a tiny private college. When I'm not wasting my free time on the internet or gaming, I like to make stuff and learn stuff, with an emphasis on creepy, weird or unusual things.