I recently ordered a coyote skull from ebay, which unbeknownst to me, was poorly cleaned, and poorly packed. When I received it, the thing was smelly, greasy, and covered in mold. Also, the jaw was glued shut with hot glue, leaving plastic tendrils everywhere.
After having my messages ignored by the salesman, I decided to take matters in my own hands and fix it myself.
I started off with a water and dish soap bath, leaving the skull to soak for a couple of days. That got rid of the greasiness. Afterwards, I scrubbed the bones and soaked them in 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol, to help kill the nastiness and deal with the residual smell. I finished by leaving the bones rest for a couple of days in hydrogen peroxide, which whitened the skull, and help dissolve all residual mold and tissue still in the bone.
Once dry, it was a simple matter of gluing the teeth and the two halves of the lower jaw with good ol' elmer's glue, and I was left with a beautiful, squeaky-clean skull to adorn my bookshelves.
Pictures of the skull as I received it after the break. Be warned it's kinda gross.
Here's, sooner than expected, the video detailing the painting, hairing and finishing of the shrunken head. That thing looks great in a bell jar on my dresser! Now I'm bored. I need to find something else to make! More pictures after the break.
Hello again, here is the second part of the process of making latex shrunken heads. In this video, I'll go through the whole molding and casting process. In a couple days, I should have a video detailing the painting & finishing of the head up and running.
I just finished the sculpture to make a new batch of shrunken heads. I decided to try making a timelapse video of the process, in hopes that you'll find it interesting. It's anotated with a few tips here and there. It's sped up around 1600%, so the whole process, which took a bit over 3h, is now down to 12 minutes.
Soon enough, I'll post one of the molding process.
It's been quite a while. I haven't been doing much arts 'n crafts lately, lots of new things going on, plus I discovered Skyrim and that mofo has been eating much of my free time between work and the girlfriend.
Nevertheless, I still enjoy each and every opportunity I get of making some cool stuff, and such an opportunity happened recently, so of course I took it and rode it aaaaall niiiight loooooon (and then some.)
Basically, a local metal band who had their album cover designed by the good folks at Le Mur Insolite (of which I've been a resident artist for a year now) approached them recently for something a bit bigger. So, Anktil, the co-owner of the gallery, amazing artist and good friend of mine, thought including me in the deal.
We basically had to create a life size flayed body prop, that needed to be hidden inside a wooden crate, and could be pulled up and hung by its feet at the right moment by pulling a chain linked to an attached gallows. Oh, and the whole thing had to fit inside a Honda Civic.
Patrick took care of crafting a collapsible gallows and a big enough (but small enough) crate, while I was tasked with creating the dummy.
I unfortunately didn't take many pictures, and since I lost the cable to charge my nikon, the pictures I have come from my shitty cell phone. Sorry about that!
Just a quick word to let you know where you can see my work around halloween!
First of all, beginning on october 19th and running until christmas, my latest oils will be on show at the art gallery "Le Mur Insolite", which I mentionned a few times until today. The gallery was an old convenience store that has been transformed in a dark artist's haven and now works hard to bring the unusual and the bizarre to the general population.
I'm a canadian multi-disciplinary artist, epicurian and all-around dork, working full-time as a 3D animation teacher in a tiny private college. When I'm not wasting my free time on the internet or gaming, I like to make stuff and learn stuff, with an emphasis on creepy, weird or unusual things.